The whole of Bermuda is tiny - with a land area of only 21 square miles or 56 square kilometers. Residents and visitors travel from one end to the other in just over an hour and from north to south in 10 to 15 minutes.
Bermuda's first aquarium was here in 1908, as the forerunner to the Bermuda Aquarium, Natural History Museum and Zoo in Hamilton Parish.
The island has guest houses, two beaches, three docks, a swimming pool, tennis and squash courts, and more, as described below.2014. Agars Island, which was the home of one of the worlds leaders in computer science the late Dr James Martin, went on the market, according to Private Islands Online.
Going from northwest to east, the six principal islands or former islands are Ireland Island (north and south), Boaz Island, Somerset, Main, St. All six principal islands are now joined together and to other accessible islands or former islands such as Coney Island and Cooper's Island - by 12 bridges and a causeway. Most islands are in Castle Harbor, Great Sound, Little Sound, Hamilton Harbor and Harrington Sound (an internal lake, accessing the sea via Flatts Inlet).
Most visitors confine themselves to these six principal islands without knowing they are going from one to the other (because there are no island signs) or are discouraged from seeing islands which are not among the principal group because there is no scheduled service to them. The bridges linking the principal islands are less than 100 years old. All islands have a limestone rock, with coral formation caps.
(In most other countries, counties have entering and exiting signs). Our separate files on each Parish describe their islands.
Some have interesting histories, or are privately owned or both. Some are wild life reserves, with signs telling people on foot or in boats that landing is prohibited.
But as an amenity this pair of islands will provide hours of enjoyment for the boater or environmentalist or someone who just wishes a convenient escape from the mainland.
Originally 4 acres, is 200 yards by sea from the exclusive area of Point Shares, in Pembroke Parish.
Once, it was owned and run by the British military as part of the string of then-strategic islands that stretched from the Dockyard to Hamilton, In 1870, the British Army, in conjunction with the Royal Navy, worried about the vulnerability of its stores of weaponry at Ordnance Island in St.
George's and its ring of forts and their munitions stores around Bermuda, built a secret underground powder magazine on this island.
The Castle Group of islands, Darrell's Island, Nonsuch Island and Paget Island are typical of those closed to most visitors.